To celebrate Veganuary, we’ve taken our Lapsang-scented mushroom stroganoff recipe and given it the vegan treatment! You can find the original recipe on page 132 of our first book ‘Mildreds the Cookbook‘.
Our version of this traditional Russian dish, uses a selection of different mushrooms giving the dish a fuller flavour and Lapsang souchong tea which gives it a slightly smoky taste.
Try to include a variety of mushrooms including ceps, porcini, chestnut and field mushrooms, this will give your stroganoff more punch.
1kg mushrooms (mixed), trimmed
30g olive oil
2 onions finely sliced
2 tbsp minced garlic
4 sprigs thyme, leaves stripped and roughly chopped
2 lapsang souchong tea bags
1 tbsp paprika
500ml vegan cream substitute
2 tbsp Dijon mustard
2 tbsp tomato puree
2 tbsp cornflour
1 bunch dill (40g), chopped
Salt to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 190ºC / 170ºC fan / Gas Mark 5 and boil a kettle with 600ml water.
2. Cut the mushrooms into even, bite-sized pieces. Drizzle a little olive oil into a roasting tin, add the mushrooms with a pinch of salt and pepper and chopped thyme leaves and mix together thoroughly. Roast for 10-15 minutes, until the mushrooms are tender, but not shrivelled. Set aside.
3. Infuse the tea bags for about 4 minutes in the boiling water.
4. Heat olive oil in a large saucepan for over a medium heat and sauté the onions until they start to colour and caramelise, add the thyme and garlic and paprika and continue to sauté for a further few minutes.
5. Remove the tea bags from the tea and discard the tea bags. Pour the liquid into the pan with the onions and cook until liquid has reduced by half.
6. Next add the paprika, Dijon mustard, tomato puree and vegan cream. Bring to a gentle simmer and cook for about 15 minutes, allowing the cream to reduce and the sauce to thicken slightly. At no point allow the mixture to boil or it will split.
7. Mix the cornflour with a little water in a small bowl to form a smooth paste and add to the mixture. Add the roasted mushrooms and their roasting juices and cook for a further 5 minutes until thickened and glossy, remove from stove and add the chopped dill and serve with rice or smooth mashed potatoes.
After what feels like an eternity, our team couldn’t be happier to welcome guests back into our restaurants. We’ve been around for over 30 years, serving up exceptional internationally inspired vegan & vegetarian food in London and that hasn’t changed in the face of this pandemic.
We’re more committed than ever to the safety of our team & our guests. Having successfully run takeaway and online deliveries from each of our four restaurants over the past few months, we’re confident that we have everything in place to make your dining experience as safe and enjoyable as possible.
When you join us for a dine-in experience, you may notice that our dining rooms and outdoor spaces look a little different. That’s because we’ve made some critical adjustments to allow for social distancing and made improvements to our already stringent cleaning standards and safety measures.
We thank you for your ongoing patience and understanding as we navigate this unusual new world together. We look forward to seeing you again soon for another dose of Mildreds love!
Just when we thought life was getting back to some sort of normality, Boris announces another lockdown… BUT it’s not all bad news!
Whilst you won’t be able to dine in with us over the next month, you can still enjoy the best of Mildreds by ordering via Deliveroo, click & collect or by popping in to pick up a takeaway from the restaurants.
We’re ready to serve our local & loyal Mildreds Family with delicious vegan and vegetarian food to get you through. There’s never been a better time to bring more plant-based dishes into your diet and we’ve got you covered.
We’ve got lots of exciting stuff in the pipeline including cooks ingredient boxes, vegan baking kits and more – watch this space!
Stay safe, keep supporting local businesses like ours and remember to check in with friends and family often because we’re all in this together!
We’re excited to tell you that our delicious new winter menu officially launches today (14th October) in all our restaurants.
We’ve been busy over the past few months, working on loads of delicious plant-powered dishes to see you through the winter – think Crispy Oyster Mushrooms with spicy Gochujang Mayo, Basil Polpette Pappardelle, Hoisin Tofu & Mushroom Pho, incredible new burgers, all new vegan cocktails and seasonal updates to some of our Mildreds classics… plus loads more.
We can’t wait to share the new dishes with you! Check out the menu here.
We’re thrilled to say that we’ll be taking part in the Eat Out to Help Out scheme which means whenever you dine in with us Monday-Wednesday throughout August, we’ll automatically take 50% off your bill (up to £10 per person).
There’s a few simple house rules:
Beat the queue and book a table here.
After the good news announced by the government this week, we’re thrilled to tell you that we’ll be starting a phased and safe reopening of our restaurants for dine-in customers from 4th July. More details to be announced soon, but for now we just wanted to say that we can’t wait to see you.